Subject: Re: Marc Riboud Show
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 13:39:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Lucien_vD wrote:

> Hi Dan and Detlef,
>
> You will not be surprised that I totaly desagree with you.
> (BTW I have already own 3 Minolta + complete system, 3 CONTAX + complete
> system,
> 7 NIKON + complete system and 5 LEICA-R + complete system, + LEICA-M +
> complete system)
> There is a difference and the most obvious is with Minolta and the cheapest
> Nikon lenses.

	I'd have to second this.  I used to own an Olympus OM-2 and Zuiko
lens and presently own a Contax and some Zeiss lenses as well as an M3
and a recent Summicron 50.  I can see a difference between pictures shot
with the cameras, particularly with low contrast films like Reala and
black and white films.  I have also shot identical subjects with slide
film in with a  Contax 159 and Zeiss Planar 50/1,7 and an M-3 and 50
Summicron and found that the images had a different feel. I have shown the
images to other people who can also see a difference between them and who,
without prompting, characterize the difference in a way that suggests that
they are seeing what I am seeing  and I have heard others with similar
stories to report.

	I think that there is some qualitative difference to the feel of
the images produced with Leica lenses, a difference that some people are
more sensitive to than others.  I wouldn't go so far as to proclaim that
the different "feel" of the Leica lenses makes them better lenses in some
objective way:  it just makes them... different.  I happen to like the
look, but I also like the look produced by my Zeiss lenses too.

Just my 2 cents worth
Gary Toop