Subject: Re: Marc Riboud Show
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 07:44:06 -0400

At 02:01 AM 30-08-97 EDT, Ted wrote:

[snip]

>But I would "brag about it":), [the non asph 35/1.4] as I have used that
lens in that fashion many
>many times and it produces the most marvelous looking negatives and
consequently
>the most interesting "glowing" 16X20 prints one would want.
>
>Possibly I misread your comment, but for me the 35mm 1.4 Summilux non
aspherical
>is a great lens. I will be using the Aspherical shortly and it better
"show me"
>that I made a wise purchase or it's gone. :)

I have both the non asph and the 1st version aspherical.  If you REALLY
like that gross spherically aberational look of the non asph 35 at 1.4,
then who am I to argue, but for me it rarely adds to a picture.  I guess we
have different tastes.  On the other hand, for ordinary  shooting I love
that old lens.  I still have it, in spite of the superiority of the newer
aspherical.

>Always open for a challenge, but we have to set the rules first. We have a
beer,
>discuss the pros and cons, examine original negs, a beer, examine  colour
>transparencies, another beer and then get down to looking at serious "printed
>reproductions!" :)
>
>By then the Leica look will kick in and you'll loose! :) That's my plan, then
>there's Gods' plan! And my plan doesn't count! :)  So good buddy what's
yours?
>:)

I suspect that the beer will kick in first, and then for sure I will lose!
;-)

>You know it's too bad we all live around the world and the country, so
that when
>an interesting point like this comes up that we can't get
>together and truly be able to do real time comparisons. Sans beer first of
>course!  But after that it's another thing, as the looser buys or if it's
a tie,
>we alternate rounds! :)  You on? :)

Next time I am in Vancouver!

With the amount of money I have invested in my M Leica, and the fact that I
truly prefer using it to all of my other cameras, I would be more than
happy to be proven wrong on this.  It is just that every now and then I
will pull out my Minolta 9xi with its 50/1.4 lens for which I paid $179
NEW, take some pictures with it, and then find myself asking, "these were
taken with THIS camera?"

Can you recommend a book of Leica and non Leica pictures that I may find in
a local Chapters where the Leica pictures stand out from the others?