Subject: M3 versus SP
From: Richard DeLuca <odyssey@spectra.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:12:04 -0400

Fellow LUGS.

I'm an amateur photog who does a lot of candid photography both at home and
overseas, mostly in India and Pakistan.  For several years I have used a
Leica M6 with 35, 50 and 90mm lenses.  I have always liked the combination,
but have regrets about the less-than-lifesize image.  That's probably
because I don't use the 35mm very often.

When I was in college back in the 60s, I owned a used Nikon SP with 50mm
f/1.4 that I just loved.  I wish I had never sold it, but I did...:(  Well
anyway, I recently came across a Leica M3 in pretty good condition.
Because of the near-lifesize viewfinder, I find myself using it rather than
the M6.  I also like the 'heft' of it better than my M6.

Unfortunately, now it just makes me want my Nikon rangefinder back all the
more....:(   I remember how fast it was to focus, with its Contax-style
focusing wheel. I felt 'married' to the thing somehow, and it gave me
photos ('decisive moment' style) that made me really happy.

I'd be very interested in hearing any experience that others have with this
camera, especially comparisons with its contemporary, the Leica M3.  My
recollections are that as sweet as it was, the Nikon didn't have quite the
quality of finish, nor was the viewfinder quite as bright.  Do I have that
correct?  Finally, if any are looking to sell an SP in really great shape,
I'm a SERIOUS buyer.....:)

Richard DeLuca