Subject: Re:Slides Came Back, 35-70/4
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:42:17 -0700

At 07:24 AM 8/27/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Amazing how Leitz packed some lens elements
>made of high index glass and an aspheric element into the 35-70.  You'd
>think Leitz would make a bigger deal about the aspheric 35-70 but they
>haven't.  I'm one happy customer.

>I don't understand why in the past Leica had modified the 35-70/3,5
>to permit the use of the polarising filter, and now they make two new
>zoom (35-70 and 28-70, yes there is a new one) who are build in a way
>it is not possible to use it.(But the new 80-200 does !?)

Perhaps it's like in most industries, the people designing and making
apparatus never actually use the apparatus that they make. They may "play"
with it, but never seriously "USE" it. So things like rotating/non-rotating
filter mount are only important to the bean counters. I suspect economics
(being able to offer these lenses at a reasonably low price) had something
to do with it. Perhaps they visualize these new short zooms as "amateur" or
"snapshot" lenses, that is, wandering around on holiday or at the flea
market with the camera and a short zoom hung around your neck. Taking happy
snaps. That's could also be why the aspheric element is not played-up.
Happy snappers don't care about this stuff. You and I do, but Leica could
be attempting to hit a market a little lower down. I wouldn't be surprised
if a "special package" at a "special price" appeared. Like an R8 and a
28-70 (almost getting the 28-70 free.) These new zooms are very sharp and
will carry-on most of the Leica lens tradition, but at a price allowing
less expensive entry.

Jim