Subject: Re: uv filter stuck
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 02:33:54 +0100 (BST)

At 20:43 25/08/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I just purchased a DR 50mm summicron and the uv (leica) filter which came
>with it
>is screwed down so hard it won't come off.  Anyone have a technique for
>removing
>a stuck filter?  Thanks DD\\

Three options;

grip the rim of the filter in one place only between finger and thumb, and
try to unscrew it;

push the lens face downwards onto a rubber pad as you then unscrew the lens
from the filter (make sure you know what direction to do this!);

get a filter wrench and use that.

All of these utilise the sound principle of NOT squeezing opposite sides of
the filter rim between two fingers and thus forcing it out of shape and
making it less, not more, likely to come off.

You may wish to check that you are unscrewing the filter from the lens and
not the front of the lens from the rest of it- I did that once with a
collapsible Summicron and I never got it back together again (I have a
different one now).

Hope that helps.

Joe Berenbaum