Subject: Phin, Phang (& Phun) on the LUG
From: Joel Tlumak <JT@JMBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:28:09 -0700

What is the purpose of the LUG?  I pose this question because
it seems like a good idea every now and then to list the reasons
for conversing on the Leica Users Group.

	1.	To ask and respond to technical questions
concerning Leica equipment.

	2.	To ask and respond to technical questions about
taking/making photographs.

	3.	To ask and respond to questions about
photographers and their photos.

	4.	To gauge views on various aspects of photography,
especially controversial photographic topics.

	5.	To give subscribers a broad view of what the users of
Leica equipment are doing with their equipment.

	6.	To discuss various trends in photography -- trends in
equipment (cameras, films, darkroom and digital equipment
and techniques) and trends in photographs.

	7.	To discuss adventures and travels that
photographers would like to share.

	8.	To discuss ideas that photographers would not mind
sharing -- ideas on photographic projects taking place or in the
planning stages, ideas on unusual uses of equipment, ideas on
different uses of film, in short, ideas in general that would
interest photographers.

	9.	Recommendations on books, exhibits, films, places
to visit and non-Leica equipment that may prove beneficial to
photographers who use Leica equipment.

	10.	To cater, when necessary, to the questions of
photographers either new to Leica equipment or, in some
cases, new to photography and Leica.

Now for others to add to this list that, I recognize, contains
some duplications.  There have been many OFF-TOPIC or
OFF-LEICA emails to the LUG that are not off-topic or off-Leica
because they effect many photographers subscribing to the
LUG and do relate to Leica equipment in some way.  I am sure
that a discussion on the use of a certain film, without mentioning
the term Leica, is ON-TOPIC.  Likewise, discussions on the
works of various photographers.  What is readily apparent from
what I have seen in the past year is that the LUG is valuable
because it tackles lots of trivia and, yes, lots of substantia.  And
what makes trivia essential is that it defines substantia.  Not
quite yin and yang but maybe phin and phang and perhaps
even photographically phun.