Subject: Re: M&R B&W/Totally and absolutely meaningless information
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:52:52 CDT

Ted,

>Man you have to stop drinking whatever they're serving in the taps of
>Norman,
>Oklahoma! I mean I know they have corn as high as an elephants' eye,
>but the
>moonshine from the corn must be something else! :)

Hick!

>Just imagine if you were out shooting some really cool R8 pictures
>and the
>great images you could have captured, maybe someone would be counting
>how many
>neat images you had in LFI! :)

I couldn't do that Sunday, but did yesterday.  I doubt LFI wants them,
but you never know.

>I know in my own case I have rarely shot colour with the M cameras at
[snip]

I have received several replies along the same lines, and that seems to
have been the normal reaction to the M & R cameras.  I have not been
fortunate to own both systems at the same time, for any lenght ot time,
and usually shoot both color and B&W (but usually color) from which ever
system I have.  Therefore I have not developed a bifurcated approach
(other than dictated by focal length) to Leica photography - sigh!

>So what other exciting things do you do in life besides counting LFI
>photos in
>between a guy hitting a little white ball and trying to get into a
>little hole
>in the ground? :)

I breathe a lot!!!  Also getting ready for our 50th anniversary blow out
and trip this fall, taking along a lot of film, oh!, and my wife.

I now have my R system about as complete as I will get it. Black  R8,
silver chrome R4, 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 50/2.0, 90/2.8, 180/2.8, Elpro3 for the
90, E55 circular polarizer,  and the Metz 32Z-2 flash. The R8 and the
Metz flash are new, the R4, and  all of the lenses are used and are mint
to mint-, except for the 35/2.0 which is Ex+ with a fair number of nicks.
 They all seem to give good images. I plan on using Kodachrome 25 in the
R8 and Kodachrome 200 in the R4, mostly for interiors.  I have been
trying it around town in this configuration and like what I have been
getting.

I'll know better after the trip.

The R8 is one seductive lady - I enjoy using it more than any camera I
have owned, and I have owned all the Nikon F's except the F5, Nikon
8008.,8008s, N90s, several Hassleblads, and the R4, R5, and R7 s, M3,
M4-P and several M6s, plus the Contax G1, and Leica mini (when I can get
it away from my wife - and which was a free camera from a dealer, which
proves, my wife says, that I bought way too much and sold and lost too
much to him!! She is probably  right.)  Oh, I left out the Retina 1 and
the Miranda F.

I doubt very much if I will again change the equipment.

During the next golf match I may get out my check book and count all the
money I don't have!

Dick