Subject: Re: Obsessions
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:46:59 -0700

>The technical obsession with ultra-crispness, or whatever is a disease,

Yes, it can be, but having knowledge of and control over technique is
fundamental. Being obsessed with and producing ultra-crispness or
soft-fuzziness or fine grain or coarse grain or any other image quality
that can be achieved is not an end in itself. But if you do have a content
in mind (or in heart) then knowing how to get it to the final print is very
important. Who among us wouldn't sing opera or dance in the ballet if we
could (perhaps some of us can)?

Therefore I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the purely technical
discussions here (or their participants) as the products of pointless
fanaticism. Even if the technical achievement is all that concerns some
photographers here for the time being, they will move on when they find
what they're looking for. I passed through that phase--I didn't care as
much about the subject of the photograph as I did about sharpness, shadow
detail, or color saturation. But once I knew how to control those to some
extent I had the confidence to pursue my more fundamental interest in the
subject itself.

Getting a handle on the technical issues is like singing scales or
sketching or running laps: it's not the final performance but it is the
practice needed to be able to perform well.

There is a passion for photography in most everyone here. Not everyone
expresses it in the same way, or in any way. Some come only to find an
answer and then go on about their business. We need to be aware of that and
resist jumping to judgment.

- -Charlie