Subject: Re: Leni Riefenstahl again
From: Detlef Beyer <d.beyer@hermes.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:22:16 +0200

>Leni Riefenstahl had a lot to do with the success and further development of
>Leicas. Unfortunately, she also move in very bad company for a long while. I
>don't have a real problem with this woman any more. However, I do have a
>problem with Leica users who would like to sweep her past under the rug for
>whatever personal reasons or lack of comfort with ancestral past.
>
>I also do not believe that we should avoid studying her techniques and
>prohibit exhibitions and showing of her photos and films. For one, I would
>like to the Triumph of Will for technical reasons.

The Riefenstahl exhibition only supports and
old Lady and her reputation and since she still denies any support of the
facist (wich was obvious) there should be no public show of her works. Her
on an archical way very impressiv images still transport only the ideals of
a time I don't want back - even not in small parts. Refusing to visit her
exhibition does a lot to her - it shows that the people still know what she
did, that it is still important what she did and that the people don't like
her work because of that knowledge anymore.

>I also think that we should avoid a new flame war on this forum.

But we are talking about Leica - don't we?

Cheers,

Detlef

<SIGNATURE GOT LOST DURING TRANSMISSION>