Subject: Televid Spotting Scope Question
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:31:18 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I currently use the standard version Televid spotting scope with the 20X
wide angle ocular.  I can see things just great.  I have not used it to
photograph with an R camera.

Has anyone compared side by side the Apo and standard version spotting
scope for viewing or photography?  A  local "birding" and camera shop owner
told me he couldn't tell the difference and so he uses the standard version
of the scope.  I wonder if having the APO optics would be clearly visible
to the discerning viewer or if it would only show up as less color fringing
when viewing slides under high magnification.

I guess I could trade my scope in for the APO version but then again maybe
I should just leave things as they are and be happy I have a good spotting
scope.  It has worked great in viewing the full moon for the past two days.
 The image is so bright you almost have to use a neutral density filter in
front of the ocular to comfortably view a full moon.  My Tele-Vue
telescopes (Genesis and Pronto) are better for astronomincal viewing but
the Leica scope is easy to set up for the family and is easy to carry
around in the yard.

Thanks for your responses.

Happy shooting,

Richard