Subject: Re: Polarising Filter Question
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:13:42 -0700

At 11:27 PM 8/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>At 11:56 PM 8/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>At 08:25 PM 18/08/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>>
>>In addition to Jim's excellent posting, I can add that the B&W circular
>>polarizers delaminate.  This becomes noticeable first near the ring, and
>>then gradually migrates inwards.
>>
>>-GH
>
>The B+W Kaesemann circular polarizer will not delaminate. At least I've
>never had one delaminate. B+W states that the Kaesemann is manufactured to
>tighter standards and hermetically sealed which should keep it from
>delaminating. One would hope for the price!
>
>Jim

Polarizers do not need single coating. The nature of polarized light makes
single coating moot. Multicoating can be of some help if shooting directly
into a very bright light source, such as the sun, but then why use a
polarizer. It will do more harm than good. Polarizers work when the angle
of polarization is in a range of 30-40 degrees. Not near zero degrees.
Polarization also makes green foliage green, reducing the reflection of the
blue or white sky from the foliage. Windows, cars, sky, and water can
benefit from a polarizer, depending upon the direction and type of the main
light source. A polarizer is nearly useless when the light source is
directly in front or directly in back. Generally speaking polarizers do not
need to be coated, multi or otherwise. The situation under which you use a
polarizer and the nature of polarized light dictates that coating is not
necessary. So the Kaesemann circular polarizer is the best available and
will, because of the edge sealing, not delaminate. And, because of using
select foils and specially prepared glass, will not cause problems with
long fast or Apo lenses.

TIMHO.

Jim