Subject: Totally and absolutely meaningless information
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:15:40 CDT

LUGs,

Well it was raining last Sunday and I was watching the PGA golf matches
and started wondering about the statements that seem to be that more M
photographers take B&W pictures and that R photographers seem to take
more color photos..

I also was the opinion the Leica Fotografie International printed a lot
more R photos than M photos.

Having nothing better to do, while watching the golf match, I, more or
less - accuracy not quaranteed, counted the porfolio pictures printed in
LFI from the March 1990 issue to date. I didn't count the photos printed
in news stories, nor in "how to do it" or equipment articles.

If you haven't gone to sleep on me, here are the figures:

Total photos:  1,765.

Photos not attributed to either M or R:  135-B&W   134-Color.

Leaving: 1,496 photos.

R photos: 792        641 color    151 B&W

M photos:704         217 color    487 B&W

Total color: 858 - 57%
Total B&W: 638 - 43%

Color:  75% R      25% M
B&W :  24% R      76% M

Conclusions:  I was wrong and the number of M & R photos were quite
close.  This was a bit of a surprise.

But - Why do people take more B&W with the M cameras - and more color
with the R cameras??? (Or is it a myth and LFI just prints in these
ratios???)

The golf match was over before I could investigate the extent to which
LFI prints pictures in issues subsequent to the accouncement of new
products, which are taken with these products.  Oh well, there is always
another golf match.

Don't say I didn't warn you - totally meaningless information.

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK