Subject: Re: Polarising Filter Question
From: "Willem-Jan Markerink" <w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:27:28 +0000

On 18 Aug 97 at 17:56, Jim Brick wrote:

> At 08:25 PM 8/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
> >
> >Now that I am using R lenses in addition to M lenses, I am getting
> >interested in using a polaroid filter.  I have previously used circular
> >polaroid filters so that I could meter more easily with metering systems
> >that contained beam splitters.  I understand that there is a way you can
> >use a linear polaroid filter but I found the circular polaroids easier to
> use.
> >
> >Now in my investigation of circular polaroid filters, I have discovered the
> >Kaesemann circular polaroid filters.  They are even more expensive than the
> >normal B+W filers.  Does anyone know the advantages of the Kaesemann
> >polaroid filters?
> >
> >Thanks.  I'm having a lot of fun with the new 35-70 R zoom lens from Leica.
> > Can't wait to ge the winder.
> >
> >Richard
>
> Kaesemann circular polarizers are made with greater care making sure that
> the glass is absolutely flat and it is hermetically sealed.

A bit more on this otherwise correct statement: the glass is grounded
after sandwiching&sealing the polaroid foil inbetween. The foil is
also stretched to assure absolute flatness (I have an old brochure of
the Kaesemann factory (not B+W at that time), mainly stressing this
stretch & seal quality, as well as perfect polarisation).
There is also a downside to this sealing, as the process requires
excessive heat, which prevents glass coating after flat-grounding the
glass....coating requires even more heat (the more heat the better it
sticks to the glass I believe). So Kaesemann and multicoating are
mutually exclusive.

> Kaesemann
> filters were designed for use with fast long lenses and APO's because they
> are very sensitive to optical flatness and purity of filters.

Tele lenses, yes, but APO doesn't require more quality than non-APO.

> This will be
> keenly apparent on the 180 3.4 APO. If you want the best and never worry
> about if your filter is causing a problem, get Kaesemann polarizers. If you
> want to use your built-in meter, get Kaesemann circular polarizers.

I first read this wrong, so to avoid confusion: you want a *circular* pol
for built-in meters, not especially a Kaesemann circular.

- --
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand