Subject: Re: Discards
From: "Richard C. Floyd" <103060.1511@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 Aug 97 17:13:57 EDT

Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>>So is it a trade off to shift light to the AF sensors?  Or a place where
>quality was sacrificed for economy.  I guess I would like to see a
>comparison of finder brightness measured with meter on all the common
>cameras.  Is Contax as bright as Leica?  It is a subject that I have
>never seen mentioned outside of circles such as this.  Why isn't this
>mentioned in the photo press.  Or are they too dim?

My 25 year old Nikon F2's viewfinder is much brighter than either my
Minolta 9000 or Minolta 9xi.

Dan C.<

Dan:

The reason your autofocus finders are dimmer than non-autofocus finders is due
to the light loss from the beam splitting mirror used for the autofocus module
(typically) located in the mirror box floor.  Check out the Popular Photography
test reports.  They always list light loss from the finder.  If I remember
correctly, they made reference to the fact that the R8 has the least amount of
light loss in recent testing.

Rick