Subject: Re: later looks
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 14 Aug 97 10:26:04 EDT

Allister wrote:

<<Then a year later I return to the images and find in some of them the original
spark that made me take the photo.>>>>
g'day Allister,

Hi Allister,
A small note that you may appreciate along that line, but multiply it by thirty
years.

I have been printing B&W for a resrospect of my 45 year career and my new book
for next year, and I'm having a wonderful time in the dark room. I'm making
16X20's from negatives shot 30 years or more ago that till this day have never
seen the light nor had I considered printing them 30 years ago..What a
difference time and experience gives one when re-examining your past eye of the
day and how you respounded to life and the events of the times.

I look at some of them from Europe, the orient, south america and  across Canada
and it is a very exciting thing, as "I find I wasn't a bad photographer way back
then! :)"  Some images I had forgotten completely and today there are people who
are assisting with the final edits who are more excited than I, so it is a very
uplifting experience.

A couple of things have emerged:

1/ Never throw any material away you might not be too happy with today, as a
quarter century down the line, you might find you were a bit of a damn good
photographer long long ago.  No comment about the recent moments!:)

2/  Store negatives very carefully along with as much information as you can
that is relevent to loction/ who/ when and where. It makes the photography of
greater value should an archives wish to purchase a block of the work.

What you thought good earlier don't look so good now, however it is the ones you
pasted over at the time that are now emerging, as some very fine photography by
the standards of today.
ted

2/