Subject: Re: Great Photo Experience
From: "Richard C. Floyd" <103060.1511@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 12 Aug 97 10:15:08 EDT

LUG's:

Yesterday I had one of the greatest photo experiences to date.  I recently got
involved with a childrens center that supports kids that have aids.  In the
social pecking order, these kids are the bottom of the bottom.  Typically, they
come from low income, usually minority races, outcast from even the poorest
society due to a disease that was passed on from their parents.  This center was
established so kids and parents have a place to come for resources such as
formula, diapers, clothes, support and nurturing.

I got involved by offering my services for free photo sessions for the families.
I came to the center at noon, set up for "formal portraits" and shot until 3:00.
It was great seeing the kids in their best clothes, proud as they could be.  It
really tore at my heart to be part of this.  The mothers and grandmothers were
so excited to have pictures of their children, many of which may not be with us
very much longer.

Anyway, after the formal pictures were done, I had the best time playing games,
reading stories and just having a great time.  Perhaps at that point there was
harmony in the planets.  Perhaps it just didn't matter about race, illness, or
social injustices.  I didn't take any photos at this time because it just didn't
seem right to be intrusive with the Hasselblad.  I didn't feel like I had earned
the right to be "firing away" in such intimate moments.  The Hasselblad was
definetly not the right tool for that.

With all of the "hardware" discussion going around, I'm trying to decide on a
Leica M camera for my needs.  I use Hasselblad for my paying work.  The Leica is
going to be for "me".  Its really funny, I'm a process person.  I so much enjoy
the process of taking photos, that most of the time, I'm not worried about the
end result.  I only worry about that for the client.  I'm looking forward to
spending more time with the kids at the center.  Perhaps after investing more of
me, I'll earn the right to capture intimate moments with them.

I'll keep you informed.

Rick