Subject: I must be nuts.
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:31:42 -0400

Ted, Richard, et al,

When I joined this group in December of last year, I was a normal
person. Wife, child, large mortgage. An N90 and 20-35, 35-70 and 80-200
zooms sat happily in the Domke. Nice pictures. Contentment.

Then, a project, which required a different perspective, and after
considerable deliberations and extensive reading the LUGNUT archives, I
bought an M6, 24 & 35 1.4 ASPHs, and a 90 2.8. Project went well. You
can see the Web version at
http://www.nbaa.org/nonmember/library/realworld/welcome.htm although it
doesn't do the printed version justice, which was printed in LIFE's
13x20 format using four color process to reproduce black and white
originals. My well-meaning Webmaster took some unauthorized cropping and
layout/editing liberties with the online version. If you'd like to see
the original, email your address and I'll mail you the real thing.

Today, because the M6 is such fun, I've invented a new project, with new
priorities, and yet another perspective is called for. Due to be off
press late next Spring. I also know, after riding aboard 25 corporate
aircraft, how better to take available darkness photos of people inside
(for instance) Learjets. That's what I do.

Call it madness, peer pressure or simple enlightenment, but I have this
day taken delivery of a new R8, 100 2.8 Apo and a (mint, allegedly) used
180 2.0 Apo for this new project. The M6 will now have to share the
Domke. I am the type to do exhaustive (the wife characterizes it as
"maniacal") research prior to any purchase like the above. This one was
no exception. Despite their high cost, no photo equipment manufacturer
designs lenses which are competitive with the above.

Many thanks to all of you for providing the continuing education course.
I'm still "normal," albeit many, many thousands poorer. And as long as
the pictures continue to improve, in part because of better equipment,
I'm happy and so to are my "customers." We all win. And hell, it's fun,
eh?! As we pilots like to say, "It sure beats working for a living."

Cheers,

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland