Subject: Elmar numbers
From: "Douglas McLernon" <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:27:41 +0100

Douglas McLernon,  Dublin, Ireland
E-mail - Economics <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie> Home <dmcl@iol.ie>

Willams of Hove Cameras, a firm that I have found to very reliable, sold me
a "user"  f/3.5 Elmar  - which I requested - along with the provision that
the lens be " post war" sold me a REAL user - no problems with the quality
- - just the description- No. 593738. Ben's list (admittedly wrong as there
were no M series list before 1953) lists this number as 1943 - any
thoughts?

When did Leitz change to the modern f/2-2.8-4-5.6-8 etc. rather than the
F/3.5-4.5,6.3,9,12.5  stops and are they what we consider "half stops or
are they translatable into the modern system?

Sorry for the elementary question but am away from my home library for most
of the summer.
Regards,
Doug