Subject: Off topic/medium format advice -Reply
From: "Robert Rose" <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:51:00 -0800

Frederic,
I have  Pentax system, and I love it.  Since you mention close up work,
this is the ticket.  I have the 135 macro (1:3) , and with the extender
tubes you can get 1:1.  The screen is large, and for close up work you
can get the rigid hood (right angle viewing) or use a loupe on the screen
with the finder removed (sort of a small view camera :-)) or get the
manifier which attaches to the prism.  The magnifier is nice because
once mounted it swings up out of the way.
You will like the Bogen 410 geared head for this close up work.
A few negatives to know:  IT IS LOUD.  Sort of a "ca-chunk."  Make sure
if it is used to get the Mirror Lock Up model, and always use it.  Vibration
is a problem at the slower speeds from the 2 curtain shutter.  Can be
solved (damped) by placing your hand on the camera while you take
anything from 1/2 to 1/30.
There are two "types" of lenses on the market -- old and new style.  Old
are cheaper, but very useable.  Color images are beautiful, even with old
style.  If you are considering the 55, know that the old is an f/3.5, but has
a very large filter size.  The new style 55 is f/4, smaller filter size, and
reortedly better.  That being said, I have used my "old" 55,  105 and 200
for wide open astro pictures, and have gotten pin-point star images with
no coma.  That is impressive in any book.
Bob Rose
rjr@usip.com