Subject: Re: M6 Electronic
From: Shawn London <st942432@PIP.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 21:09:21 -0400

>An M6E, or even a CLE, if it had a spot meter, an AE lock and a larger RF
>base would be a perfect camera for me. I could, as I wrote earlier, pick my
>spot, lock it and frame my photo. All the while saving valuable seconds
>over a photographer using a manual camera. With that imagined tool, I could
>use my skill and experience to more intently concentrate on photography and
>less on the camera.

You're missing the point.  Many of us happily use the Ms which an
increasing number of people on the group are beginning to trash as
retro-antiquated dinosaurs.  The point is that some of use LIKE using
all-manual cameras, just because they represent an experience from the
past which is sadly lacking in many modern autofocus/autoexposure cameras.

Don't get me wrong, I have an EOS A2e and a Contax G2 in addition to my
M6, and I love all three of them.  However, I use each of them in order
to have a distinct camera experience.  If my goal was complete automation
as you suggest, I'd just use my EOS all the time and forget about it.
But if you do that, you're missing out on one of the best parts of
photography.

Personally, I think that Leica has the right idea in their current
iterations of the R and M series cameras.  As they are now, especially
with the M6, they are selling a unique product which cannot be purchased
from another manufacturer.  Rather than trying to change the product line
to suit the current gadgetry, one who is looking for an electronic camera
would be better advised to go for a Canon or Nikon.  They've been doing
it longer and probably do a better job anyway.