Subject: Re: Where Angels Fear To Tread
From: ABreull@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:22:08 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 05.08.1997  16:26:16, schreiben Sie:

>In summary, I would like to see;
>   Performance differences and features between various
>     versions of Leica M lenses.
>   Tips on maintaining these wonderful cameras.
>   Ideas for how to get the most out the M system taking
>     photographs.

During almost 40 years of experience (I started at 12, working during several
school holidays in a scap yard some kilometers from home to earn the money
for my first camera, a Retina 1a, Xenar 3.5/50), and several thousands of
pics (most b/w), I've developed a certain strategy to get the very best out
of my Leica gear:

1) I like sharp b/w pics with high contrasts, hence the black very black, and
white very white.
2) When I buy a lens I take some b/w pictures within the photo shop at the
maximum opening of the lens (no flash, no additional light), e.g. the pic
shows black lenses with white ciphers or cameras on a distance of 2-3 m. If
the lens separetes the ciphers on the lenses on high contrast in an 18x24 cm
enhancement, then the lens is ok. If the lens manages those first pics, the
lens manages all other stuff also in my experience. No other test necessary.
3) I use FP4 (2/3 of my b/w pics), Tri-X (1/3), and Ektachrome 100s.
Over the years, my best results came from:
The FP4 has 22 DIN (125 ASA), but I set the lightmeter at 24 DIN (200 ASA).
The Tri-X has 27 DIN (400 ASA), no changement.
Developer: Microphen, Ilford plastik paper, hard and extra hard grade.
The Ektachrome with 100 ASA is set to 125 ASA (intensifies the colors),
except when I want to have very transparent pics (then I take a serie with
1/2 or 1/3 apperture stops differences between the pics, depending on the
subject).

My best pics result from the 3.4/21, 2/35, and 2/50. Since some months I have
a M6 ESL, the asperic Summilux is awfull. The 2/90 (1 old chrome, 1 newer
black, both before 1980) doesn't show so much advantage to the Nikkor 2/85,
and the 2/35 ( past 1980) is _very slightly_ more sharp than the Nikkor 2/35
(the type with the movable inner lenses ). The summicrons are more blue than
the Nikkor lenses, the Nikkor lenses are more yellow. The 50 mm Summilux (>
1980) is neutral. The AS is more "bright" in colors than the Summilux, less
blue than the Summicrons, and enhances contrasts in early morning or late
evening hours).

>I can contribute;
>   My own experiences with Leica (and other cameras) as
>     it would help with M-photography.
>   Ideas on film usage, metering, zone system for 35mm.
>   Lens resolution tests and evaluation (which I do now
>     for another camera UG).

I would like to know, (1) how the Noctilux compares to the Summicron or
Summilux (no matter which of both), and wether there is a difference between
the 1.2 and 1.0 version (resolution, contrast).

- -Alf