Subject: Old Leicas
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 10:36:48 -0500

A friend recently inherited a couple of old leicas.  One is a SS M3 #
984217 with meter MR and a Summilux 50 1.4.  She also got what I assume
to be a III (It is a screw mount body) of some version the # on it is
397598 with a 3.5cm Elmar #271314.

From Ben's site I know the summilux is a 1933 lens, but his M3 #s stop
short of the 984xxx number.  Could anyone give me the rough ages of the
M3, and what version the other camera is with dates on the lense and
body.  Also I am unfamilliar with the III, if that is what it is, and any
basic opperating instructions I could pass along would be great.

Also the camera I am calling a III has what appears to be a baseplate
adaptor of some sort on the baseplate. it has two plug type holes on the
right (looking from back of camera) end.  Does anyone know what this is?

She is interested in getting them CLAed so that she can use them.  From
earlier posts John Van Stellen sounds like who I should reccomend she
send these to, or does he mainly do lenses?

Both cameras are in very clean condition with no damage to the leather
very minimal scratching on the III (but I can not tell if it is working
as I can't get the shutter to fire, but as I said I have never seen one
of these so I may be doing something wrong and the base plate does not
want to close completely) and the M3 except for a few small scratches on
the top and base plate is in Ex++ condition.  Does anyone have any idea
of the rough value of these?

Thanks in advance.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com