Subject: Re: Secret desire
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 22:38:54 -0700

At 08:25 PM 8/4/97 PDT, you wrote:

>I have to confess to having this secret desire.
>
>I want to take a chimpanzee and teach him how to point and push the
>button on  an auto-focus, auto-exposure camera, with a motor drive.  All
>I would have to do is load the film.  Now if you let the chimp shoot a
>hundred rolls of film (3600 exposures) there are bound to be some good
>shots in there.
>
>And the funny part about this is that it can...and will be done sooner
>or later.
>
>Regards,
>Bill

Bill, I hate to tell you, but it's being done every day. There are many
real chimps that could take better pictures than some of the ape's calling
themselves "professional" photographers. These, uh, pro's, use only the
technowizardry do everything automatically for you cameras and sell the
stuff. They actually do not know anything about photography, the camera
does all of the thinking for them. They just point and hold down the
button, letting the motor drive move the film through. They even have AD's,
magazines, and unfortunately, a major camera manufacturer monkey'ed, er, I
mean, buffalo'ed. Ted knows about one of the joes I'm speaking of. One of
these joes doesn't even use the particular manufacturer's cameras, because
they are too manual (no whiz-bang auto stuff.) The pictures that the
manufacturer publishes are from a different manufacturer's camera. And they
don't even know it. He certainly has brass monkey balls! Pardon the
expression.

Sorry Bill, you are too late.

Jim

PS... I believe cameras like the M6 and R6.2 should be kept manual, and
continue to be manufactured. When one of my sons wanted to start taking
pictures, I got him a user SL and user 50mm Summicron. He had to learn how
photography works in order to take good pictures. To be a really good cook,
you need intimate knowledge of the process.  To be a really good
photographer, you need intimate knowledge of the process. To be a really
good anything, you need intimate knowledge of the process.