Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 21:03:28 -0500

<snip>
>I have never been interested in letting the camera do things for me. I
>want to know exactly where it is focused and what the exposure settings
>are. Because I generally meter carefully with either a built-in spot
>meter or an incident meter, there is not much point to autoexposure for
>most of the shooting I do. I don't want the camera doing things behind my
>back--I want to be sure of what I'm getting. If I shot sports or
>motorcycle racing, I might feel differently about autofocus.

<snip>

>The problem I have with the Contax G bodies and many other electronic
>cameras is not that they are electronic, but that they are hightly
>automated and are clumsy to use manually, the way I prefer to work.

I think that Paul has distilled the essence of this extended discussion.
I, OTOH, need my full concentration (which, at age 52, ain't a lot) on
composition in order to get it right. The more of the other things that my
camera can do "behind my back" (so long as it does them well), the better
the odds that I'll get a decent shot.

IOW, I need all the help I can get.

Chuck