Subject: Re: The Leica R8 and moving up from Canon
From: Tom Kline <tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:07:22 -0800

>For the Leica at pool's edge, I've used a right angle finder for low down
>shots. Didn't need to remove the prism. My Nikon friends' only complaint
>about removable prisms is that they seem to allow a lot of dirt and grime
>into the prism/screen area. I know a dozen pro photographers that use Nikon
>and not a single one uses anything but the original prism.
>
>I would really like to know a.) which different prisms do you have, b.)
>what do you use them for, and c.) how often do you actually really need the=
m?

>Thanks,
>
>Jim
>
>ps... This is not a derogatory post, it's of real interest because nobody
>I've ever been associated with has ever had or used different prisms. And
>I'm old and been doing this stuff a long time.

This is really off-topic, but since you asked:
I use the high mag. 6X "chimney - type" finder with my Bowens Ilumintran
and when doing true macro work on a vertical stand (Nikon Multiphot sort of
like the Leitz Aristophot) and the DA-1 "Action finder" for follow-focus
work with longer lenses - works great for following birds, was actually
used first for an U/W housing-- both used on old F2 bodies -- it is a
super-high eyepoint finder. These finders also fit the F with the nameplate
removed.
The 6X is pretty much dedicated to one body which I keep at work and use
just a few times a year. The DA-1 is in a pelican 1500 case of N gear,
ready to go, whenever I want to use brand N  (2 F2 bodies in there, one has
the DA-1) topside SLRs.  The DA-1 is used fairly frequently. Similar
finders were/are made for the F3, F4, and F5. Canon had a similar finder
that rotated for the F1 series. Pentax had a slightly different approach
with the late LX - 45 degree view action finder, I believe. Yes the
focusing screens do get dirty, big deal, does not affect performance.
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph.D.
Research Scientist/ Diving Safety Officer
Prince William Sound Science Center
300 Breakwater Avenue, P. O. Box 705
Cordova, AK 99574, USA
907-424-5800