Subject: Re: The Leica R8 and moving up from Canon
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 14:04:04 -0700

At 11:47 PM 8/3/97 EDT, you wrote:
>David wrote:
>
><< A *fixed* prism on a pro SLR has all the utility of an ash-tray on a
>motorbike. I have four different finders for my Nikon F3s, and I use
>them all.>>>
>
>Hi Dave,
>
>Why do you change the prism? I know the old Nikon f I had, I think it was, so
>damn long ago now, you could take the prism off and I only did that when I
>wanted to put the camera right on the ground or the edge of the swimming
pool at
>the Olympics or similar sports events.
>
>What do they do differently and where would you use the different versions?
>
>ted

Ditto...

For the Leica at pool's edge, I've used a right angle finder for low down
shots. Didn't need to remove the prism. My Nikon friends' only complaint
about removable prisms is that they seem to allow a lot of dirt and grime
into the prism/screen area. I know a dozen pro photographers that use Nikon
and not a single one uses anything but the original prism.

I would really like to know a.) which different prisms do you have, b.)
what do you use them for, and c.) how often do you actually really need them?

Thanks,

Jim

ps... This is not a derogatory post, it's of real interest because nobody
I've ever been associated with has ever had or used different prisms. And
I'm old and been doing this stuff a long time.