Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Shawn London <st942432@pip.cc.brandeis.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 03:00:53 -0400

>  No question the M6 is a better
>long-term investment, but what is the justification for the immensely
>higher initial cost?

I hate to break it to you guys, but if one of us put $5,000 into the
newest Leica gear and another put the cash into a mutual fund or even an
interest-bearing bank account, after 10 years the banker would have a
much better return (inflation-corrected).  Plus, the cash would be not be
tied up in a collector's market whose prices fluctuate considerably.  Buy
a Leica if you want a first-class camera.  Call your financial analyst if
you're looking to make an investment.

>I'll just pass on
>the shot.  OTOH, my AF hasn't missed yet.  But I haven't made a lot of
>demands on it.

The G2's AF hasn't missed for me either.  The key is using strong
vertical lines as a focusing point.  It does the job every time.