Subject: Re: SHOW ME THE MONEY! aka $3,340
From: "William Ferris" <billferris@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:57:52 -0400

>>The high price further drives down sales volume, forces more service
cutbacks,
resulting in either another round of price increases, or panic-driven
rebate programs.<<

Chuck the CPA,

Lower profit margins certainly can and do result in service cutbacks (as
well as R&D cutbacks and other cutbacks) however, no economic theory will
support lower demand resulting in higher prices.  The price only stays high
if the demand continues to be high in spite of the lesser service, quality,
etc.  Now why would demand stay high for an inferior (to Contax) product?
 Also, I seriously doubt the rebate program is the result of any sort of
panic.  Do we know any other well-known camera manufacturers who have
rebate programs (might be easier to name those that don't)

These rebates are simply a function of the change in exchange rates between
the DM and Yen and others.  The DM was 1.35 to the US $ two/three years
ago.  It is now 1.85 to the $--almost a 50% devaluation vis a vis the $.
At $2795 (ignoring dealer mark-up for simplicity) Leica was getting 3,773
DM three years ago, at $1995 they are getting 3,690 DM now.  As far as the
Germans are concerned the price hasn't changed in three years.  If they are
less efficient, the margins go down (and perhaps service etc., ),but not
because their prices are too high, but because they have not raised their
prices to maintain historical margins.) The same holds in Japan where the
Yen has gone from 90 to 120 to the $.  I'll bet the Japanese cameras have
actually increased in price during that period.

If we don't like the price/quality/service make-up of this Leica product we
shouldn't buy it.  If we continue to buy it, we are responsible for
ultimately determining the price.

Bill another CPA