Subject: Jena versus Oberkochen: OFF-TOPIC
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 10:12:40 -0400

At 02:40 AM 8/2/97 -0400, Alf wrote:
>During the last 20 years I bought a total of  4 Hasselblads with the Planar
>2.8/ 80 because of the superb Hasselblad construction idea, but sold 3 after
>some weeks again because of the rather poor optical abilities compared to the
>3.5/75 Planar or the 2.8/80 Biometar. Additionally, I tried the Rollei 66 and
>sold it. And, I will sell my pesent Hasselblad on the same reason.
>
>Further, the extraordinary abilities of the Flektogon compared to any other
>lens (Distagon included) were published by Will McBride in the 70th already.

First, comparing a 3.5/75 Planar (a 'Flex lens) with the 2.8/80 Planar (an
SLR lens) is a bit uneven:  they really aren't directly comparable.
Second, WHICH 3.5/75 Planar do you mean, the five-element or six-element?

The Biometar IS a Planar, the Flektogon IS a Distagon.  Period.  The only
distinction is where made.

Finally, the reason that Jena lenses are so inexpensive is because they
have, traditionally, not been seen as of the same quality as Oberkochen
glass.  There are thirty years of personal experiences, surveys, and tests
which bear this out.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!