Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #574
From: Chris Bitmead <ChrisB@ThePla.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 18:13:15 +1000

>I am beginning to notice just the same half circle mark. It is caused by
>the fact that the lens is bringing the body in unbalance when you are
>wearing a strap. Try the Summicron-R 50mm f/2.0, there will be no
>scratching. But do the same with a telelens or even the Elmarit-R 28mm
>f/2.8, and you will notice that the plastic of the carrying strap is
>scratching the body just above the rubber on the body (only at the "R8"
>side).
>A pity because sooner or later the black finishing will wear off, and
>expose the metal brass under it. I had the same experience in the past with
>a black Nikon FA body.

I havn't looked closely at an R8 body, but I have had a Nikon F4 body
for a long time where there are little plastic triangles on the strap
holes which rub against the black finish. While the finish has become
a bit smoother and shinier it certainly hasn't actually worn through
or anything. You probably shouldn't worry yet. :-)

The best design is the EOS1n where the strap goes directly through the
holes making wear impossible. :-)