Subject: Re: M use
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 02 Aug 97 01:49:10 EDT

Detlef wrote:

<<< Normaly you go out in the morning or in the evening to look for good
light.>>>

Hi Detlef,

You are quite right if you are working at your pleasure and not at the time of a
sports event covering the Olympics where you do not have the luxury of shooting
under the best light at any time.

However the sports event and athlete can be captured easier with the 1/8000 than
with slowerspeeds .  Yes I know I could capture them with 1/1000 or 1/500 and
have on many many occaisions, but 1/8000 gives the phtographer an edge on
stopping the action in mid air or wherever.

<<If I would get the 1/8000th for free - ok I wouldn't reject this offer. But if
I had to pay money for it...?!>>>>>

I don't think in modern day cameras and the electronic magic that goes on inside
the black box that having 1/8000 costs anymore than having 1/1000. It is merely,
as I understand some kind of twiddling with electronic bits inside and you can
have the higher shutter speeds without any actual higher cost.  I could be
wrong, but an electronics guy tried to explain it to me and I lost him after the
first 2 minutes of explanation of things electronic! :)  Hey I'm a photographer!
:)

<<<But there is only a 1/1000th on my M6 - how did you manage to separate your
subject from the background without the 1/8000???>>>>>>>>>

Sorry I didn't explain it very well as I was referring to shooting with the
Noctilux wide open and the higest possible shutter speed, that being 1/1000 in
some light conditions.  If I were to be shooting where the film in my camera was
of too high an ISO to work in the highest and widest manner, I'd change to
slower film.

Don't forget that some times I'm shooting in light conditions where the f.1
maybe the widest aperture, but the highest possible shutter speed may only be
1/15th! And this is to give a correct exposure. Hey it's called "available
darkness!"  :)  And you better have steady hands!:)

ted