Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #572
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 22:01:38 -0400

At 07:38 PM 8/1/97 -0400, Alf wrote:
>Maybe, but in my experience the Zeiss Jena lenses (Biometar 80, 120,
>Flektogon 50) have far better optical abilities (not mechanics !!!) than
>Oberkochen's equivalents (Planar, Distagon), and are on 1/4 to 1/3 of the
>price. And, as known also, the (Rolleiflex built-in) 3.5/75 Planar is better
>also than the 2.8/80 Planar.
>
>Maybe it's different with 35mm camera lenses ... although there is hardly any
>lens which compares to the 20 mm Flektogon (exept the Super Angulon, maybe).

The only answer possible is a gasp and a snort.  This simply isn't true.

The Biometar is ALMOST as good as a Planar.  The Flektogon is ALMOST as
good as a Distagon.  As for the 3.5/75 Planar, well, I have sold all mine
and now have only 2.8 lenses.  Figure it out for yourself.

Please understand:  I think Jena did a better job with binoculars than did
Oberkochen/Wetzlar.  But with camera lenses?  No.  There are some that
shine:  the 2.8/180 is a superb telephoto, for instance.  But the
Oberkochen Planar and Distagon are still distinguishably better than their
Jena equivalents.

Why the hell do you think we WON the Cold War?

Marc James Small
Vice-President, the Zeiss Historica Society

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315