Subject: Re: Thugs are Stupid
From: "Richard C. Floyd" <103060.1511@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 Aug 97 12:49:47 EDT

>Stark wrote:

> Well, anyway, it turns out the suitcase contained an M-3 with a
> 50mm,35mm,90mm,light meter,etc. and it was all offered for
> $100.  He sure knew his cameras....

Speaking as one who last Saturday had an M6 with 35f2 stolen from a
cathedral whilst attending a wedding, I would hope that the #%*$^(%#&*
who nicked it got himself mugged by someone who DID recognise the red
dot!!!

> .P.S. my friend still
> has the camera.  Tony

Does he want to sell it? I'll give him more than he paid for it!

Rob.<

Rob:

I hope your just kidding here.  Just remember how you felt (feel) about having
your gear stolen.  If there was no market for stolen equipment, then the number
of thefts would go way down.  I personally think that Stark's friend should be
locked up for buying the equipment to begin with.  Not to mention, how could he
even be friends with someone obviously so lacking in moral character?

The thing that irks me the most is how we champion these guys that buy this
stuff with praises like "Boy did you ever get lucky there".  I wish everyone
that was so lucky would realize the misfortune of the guys that had the gear
stolen.

I recently stopped at Roberts Distributors in Indianapolis to check out some
camera equipment.  As a very last minute decision, I grabbed my Hasselblad gear
out of the back of my car to have when I looked at a new lens.  I was only in
the store for 10 minutes.  While I was in there, someone smashed my car window
and stole my overnight bag with my clothes and laptop computer.  All total, it
was probably worth nothing as hot merchandise, but I spent days trying to get
the car fixed and stuff replaced by insurance.  Not to mention all the files I
lost on a computer with virtually zero value (486sx with b&w screen) to someone
else.

So when I hear tales of what a great deal someone got due to someone else's
misfortune, I can't help thinking what the original owner must be going through.

Rick Floyd