Subject: Re: M use
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 Aug 97 09:50:39 EDT

Ben wrote:

<<<<EXACTLY!!! You get this softness to the background that people are just not
used to seeing in daylight pics, only because of the instinct we all seem to
have to go for a "fast enough" speed, and maximum DOF.>>>>

Hi Ben,
this is the way I attempt to shoot every opportunity I can and it has helped to
make much of my work look different:

Shoot with the highest possible shutter speed and the widest possible aperture!
In probably 90% of what we shoot the background isn't relevant to the picture,
in fact in too many situations the background screws-up the content,
particularly with people and sports.

Now having said that! Obviously there are times and subjects where you must
shoot at 22 as you want a feeling that the viewer can walk right into the frame.
Usually in scenics and travel location type of settings.

Generally the widest possible aperture and highest possible shutter speed is a
great thing to separate your subject from the background and it will make it
stand out crisply clear and sharp!

It is such a wonderful way to shoot when you are working with the M6 and the
Noctilux at f.1! :)  The backgrounds when shooting colour dissolve into an
eatheral mix of colour and the main subject jumps off the page or screen. Pure
magic! :)

ted