Subject: Re: M use
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:02:59 -0600 (MDT)

Ted obviously understood what I was talking about, because he wrote:

>The difference is, the images shot wide open develop a "feeling" and separation
>of subject that is quite beautiful and makes your photography stand out like no
>other. Obviously there are times when one must be stopped down to 22 or
>wherever.

EXACTLY!!! You get this softness to the background that people are just not
used to seeing in daylight pics, only because of the instinct we all seem to
have to go for a "fast enough" speed, and maximum DOF. How many times have
you settled at 1/125 or 1/250 instead of a faster speed - just to get more
DOF? It's burnt into us from the beginning! Stop down and make it ALL sharp.

Swim against the tide, run against the herd, etc, etc, so forth and so on.
I'm finding more and more of these "habits" that I learned in Photo 101, and
have carried through my entire "pitcher" making life. Wouldn't it be nice to
be 12, and know absolutely nothing, and have a bag of Leicas? Mmmmmmm...
makes me warm.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/
Leica serial numbers and Leica classifieds are no longer available
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm