Subject: Re: Contax G vs. Leica M
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 01:13:43 -0400

At 11:08 PM 7/30/97 -0400, Marvin Moss wrote:

>This man is constantly looking for Orion adapters to use Zeiss
>optics with Leica bodies.

In the current issue of VIEWFINDER, there is an article about a new Contax
RF lens to Leica body adapter which is now being sold for $400 or so.  (I'm
going to kill Randy Hooper for running the article without telling us WHERE
to buy this gem!)  But folks who want to go that route will often simply
use the Russian LTM lenses which are quite a bit less expensive.  Modern
Zeiss glass will cost and cost and cost, though the G2's 16mm Hologon seems
to be appearing on quite a few M's.

The really important thing to bear in mind about Zeiss is that they simply
cut very few compromises and pay little heed to economic realities:  thus,
they produce superbly made, superbly designed lenses at
heart-palpitation-inducing prices.  But, when you want THE very best, well,
Zeiss is there.

Let me finish with a caveat:  historically, Leitz and Zeiss designed their
lenses to rather different standards.  This has changed recently, and the
newer Leica glass is being designed and produced to standards which now
make a direct comparison more productive than in the past.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315