Subject: Re: Wetzlar/Solms Quality
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:26:03 -0600 (MDT)

Thanks Marvin for finally using your real name in a post, instead of just
your handle. It makes it easier to remember who you are.

I respect your opinion, as I do anyone's who can articulate such a thought,
but I would have to disagree.

You wrote:
>      First of all, I dont consider any Leica not made by Leitz Wetzlar or
>Midland -
>to be really of Leitz Quality.  Many of us dont even consider the CL or Mini
>- to be
>Leicas at all.

What you seem to be saying is that when Leica Camera was formed from E.
Leitz, the company changed the way they built cameras. It is silly to
suggest that the folks at Solms are not those same folks who turned and
milled and cut and ground parts in Wetzlar. The production site changed, but
are we to believe that the methods, tooling, technicians, etc. were scrapped
for inferior replacements?

The M6 that came out of Wetzlar has a less sensitive meter than the Solms
version. Was that a downgrade? I don't think so. I've held both versions in
my hands, and they feel the same, sound the same, and from all the sources
here and elsewhere, they are the same.

If you are talking about the M6 v. the previous M cameras, well that's a
defendable argument, maybe not winnable, but defendable. As far as
performance goes, the current 6 from Solms is as good as that camera gets.
At least until they improve it further.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO

visit my web site at http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/
Leica serial numbers and Leica classifieds are no longer available
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm