Subject: Re: Leica quality
From: John Gilbert <gilbertj@merlin.net.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 97 19:56:21 +0930

Thanks Jim, Detlef and Lucien for your input on this issue.

It would be very interesting if other LUGers using M series equipment
tested out their rangefinder accuracy wide open at various distances
using the method I suggested. Some people may get a rude shock if my
experience is anything to go by. I guess you have seen Danny Gonzalez'
post of a day or two ago about Leica offering to 'fine tune' rangefinder
cams for a fee.

On the other hand I do appreciate the extreme difficulty in guaranteeing
absolute accuracy in manufacturing a rangefinder cam and matching it to a
specific lens. Infinitesimally small deviations from the perfect cam
shape are capable of producing incorrect focus when the lens is used at,
or close to, maximum aperture.

Lucien, my problems were with a new Canadian M4-P body and two new German
lenses. With regard to secondhand lenses, I have not noted any
significant difference between Canadian and German made stuff. One also
has to bear in mind that you never really know the provenance of a
secondhand item. Anything could have happened to it so you really have to
test it out thoroughly before your option to return it expires.

John Gilbert
<Unrepentant Perfectionist>
gilbertj@merlin.net.au