Subject: Re: 70-180 vs. The World
From: "Willem-Jan Markerink" <w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:59:42 +0000

On 27 Jul 97 at 14:16, Thomas J. Donovan wrote:

> Willem-Jan Markerink,
>
>     >>that's the cause of my confusion too...70-180 report is in the Jan issue<<
>
> Not sure what periodical you are referring to; however, in the July 1996 issue
> of "BAS report Leica R-lenses"  test results, page 31, in the first paragraph of
> the test on the f2.8/70-180 Vario-APO Elmar, I quote: " No focus difference for
> IR exposures".

Sorry, I thought you were referring to FotoMagazin....seems as if
both periodicals run more than a wee bit out of sync....8-))

> It also states  under optical performance, an:  " Average sharpness~0.008 mm &
> better"; which if my math is correct equates out to about 125LPM. Assuming this
> occurs at f2.8 & gets better thru f8; it's one hell of a lens :~)!

That part made it into FotoMagazin....I wasn't questioning overall
quality actually....but why did they leave out this IR-remark for
crying out loud!?!....;-))

It's also one hell of a price....
Thanks for the info, must go now, time to put my mask on and rob a

- --
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand