Subject: Re: M3 D/S
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 05:41:50 +0800 (SGT)

At 12:29 PM 26/7/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Just like Dave, I am using this weekend to decide about an eventual camera
>buy. I am thinking of a M3, that I can get for $350. I have checked the
>camera, and it is OK technically. The exterior is a "user".
>The thing that makes me hesitate, is that it is one of the last D/S
>variants, with the old shutter times.
>Are there any D/S users  here, who would like to comment how these old M3:s
>are in practical use, compared to the later ones? One thing, that comes to
>my mind, is that the MR-meter cannot be used. Are there any other
>disadvantages to consider?
>Regards, Hans

I have used both the SS and the DS models.  The main difference in the DS is
that you have to make two short strokes to wind the film instead of one.
Initially I forgot to wind the second stroke but later got used to it.  The
old shutter speed scale is hardly a bother to me.  I just translate 1/125 as
1/100, 1/60 as 1/50 etc.  I am not sure whether this makes a significant
difference to slide film exposure but since I am using B&W and colour negs,
the exposures have been fine so far.   I use an external meter. I heard that
the MR meters can scratch the top plate.   In short the DS model is a nice
model to use and the price that you are paying is very reasonable.

Dan K.