Subject: Re: Leicaflex Problem
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:13:24 -0700

- ---------
> From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
>

> As an experienced user of M Leicas and admittedly a new user of a
Leicaflex
> SL, I have a problem with the Leicaflex.  Everytime I take a picture, the
> viewfinder goes blank for just a split second then as if by magic the
image
> reappears.  It is just like the effect when someone takes a picture on TV
> and the viewer is looking through the camera.  You never get to see the
> exact picture you took.

Here's your problem, Richard:
I used to teach target shooting and would occasionally load an empty
cartridge into the student's rifle chamber just to see how much he flinched
when he pulled the trigger, expecting the rifle to go off. So obviously
you're flinching whenever you press the shutter on the obviously larger
caliber SL. That momentary blanking out must be the involuntary blinking of
your eye. To prove it, just try "dry firing" like we used to do at the
target range. I'm sure if you just pretend to take the picture (you can
shout 'ka-klunk' for effect if you want), you'll notice the image stays
bright and steady, just like in the smaller M6. If this doesn't work tho,
I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to never seeing the picture you
just took until the photos come back. Sorry 'bout that.

Gary Todoroff