Subject: Re: Fixer Question
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:13:55 -0500

From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:01:27 +0300 (EET DST)

>Under normal darkroom conditions (reasonably clean, neg. sleeves
>unless it's in the carrier etc.) I  don't see how you get them scratched.
>I do my BW myself - perhaps if I'd be handing my negs to others I might
>want to "insure" them.
>

>Kari Eloranta

The scratches I was talking about really only show up when I scan with a
LeafScan 45. Using this scanner seems to be similar to printing with a
point-light source - every tiny defect shows up. I have major problems with
scanning color negatives, as they always seem to have these scratches that
don't show up in darkroom produced prints.

When I use hardener in my Rapid Fixer, I don't have the problem of these
scratches showing up in my scans of bw negatives. So, I would recommend
hardener.