Subject: Re: M use
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:32:07 +0100 (BST)

At 21:59 24/07/97 +0800, you wrote:
><snipped>
>I've read your article above & it concerns me greatly.
>I've been in this group for about 3 months now wanting to know more about
>the M6 since I'm really interested in purchasing one this x'mas. However
>there have been several posts similar to yours about the M6 having
>problems: film counter problems, rangefinder focusing alignment problems,
>and now...the shutter does not close completly at low speeds problem.
>In your opinion is it still worth owning an M6 ?? Pls be honest with me
>since I'm saving up for this equipment. I currently have a Canon EOS system
>and  a Hasselblad. Both have been trouble free. My dream has been to own an
>M6 & I don't want to be stuck with something that will give me problems
>like the ones I've been hearing from various people including yourself ?
>Ferdinand

It can be hard to get a realistic view of the reliability of the M6 when
reading individual complaints. It may be more likely that someone will post
a complaint about unreliability than a statement that the camera has worked
without problems. Maybe it would be a idea for someone with a web page to
compile a survey of M6 reliability from members of the LUG to give a
realistic view of how many of us have had problems with reliability, and how
many do not, how old their camera is, how long they've had it, what
condition it was in when bought, how heavily they use it, and anything else
that is relevant.

Now if the artist formerly known as Ben could be interested in doing this-
or someone else with a web page, we might have a useful assessment of the
reliability of these machines from a statistically significant number of
users. Put me down as "no problems with used 1987 M6 for entire time, 2.5
years of ownership, light use since I also have several other cameras"...

Joe Berenbaum