Subject: Re: 70-180 vs. The World
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:56:50 -0700

At 11:07 PM 7/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Am curious as to the opinions of some of the better equipped amongst
>us...
>
>The 70-180 Apo Elmarit is reputed to be one of the best lenses in the
>world, fixed or zoom. Is it, really? Does it compare favorably against
>the 1987 era 100 Macro Apo Elmarit as Leica claims? I'm particularly
>curious about performance for those two lenses wide open at the same
>(100) focal length at portrait distances.
>
>One last thing: Is the zoom too big and heavy to hand-hold at slow
>shutter speeds? I do a lot of available light shooting wide open and the
>zoom appears massive and log-like in its heft. It is hand-holdable in
>real-world practice?
>
>Many thanks for your thoughts.
>
>David W. Almy

I have a 70-180 APO and a 100mm APO. I now only use the 100 for close work.
The 70-180 is tack-sharp. About the size & weight. Marksmen learned many
many years ago that to shoot off hand (hand held in camera lingo), you
needed weight and bulk. All target firearms are large and heavy. It keeps
some of your nerve and heart jitter from moving the firearm (camera.) It is
hand-holdable.

Jim