Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:20:05 -0700

At 03:53 PM 7/22/97 -0700, dvcinc@swbell.net wrote:

>The F5 is simply much
>more advanced. Same can be said for the EOS 1n. The R8 is contemporary
>and has many nice features but it is still several years behind the
>competition. Its main feature is it takes Leica lenses.
>
>I am not sure what I will do. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

I always advise people to go with what feels best to them. Other than the
technology of a camera, there is a psychology. When you are using the
camera, it's more than just, are the buttons and levers easy to use, it's
do you feel confident with the camera? Can you visualize the resulting
image and is the equipment you are holding going to work with you? To me,
Leica equipment allows me to be creative and capture it on film. Some
people do not feel this. A race car driver does his best when driving the
car he is in tune with. The pro golfer can feel the ball all the way down
the fairway, when using the clubs that are in tune with him. Creative
people definitely look upon their tools as an extension of themselves. My
4x5 Linhof Master Technika is a good example. This is an interesting story
and I'll post it separately so people can delete it without reading it if
they are not interested.

The camera for you is the camera that your psyche feels best with. That
your subconscious can operate. And your creativity flows through. Don't buy
it because of its techno-wizardry or for its status. Neither one makes
images. That comes from you.

Jim