Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:35:17 -0500

> I did not see even one pro photographer
>without an AF camera. And I did not see any Leica camera at all - with the
>exception of one Leica Mini at Mercedes VIP lounge. To me autofocus IS
>essential with SLR cameras.

Just because the pros were using the newest cameras does not mean they
were using the autofocus features.  Most working pros, esp press shooters
who bang their cameras around alot, tend to update their cameras fairly
regulary just because they wear out.  If they were using a Nikon F4 or
less I would be willing to bet they were not using the autofocus as it
was not that great on those cameras, nowhere near as fast as the EOS 1.

I do not find it a surprise that there were no Leica shooters there,as
the working press photogs who use Leica are in the minority.  How many
Contax shooters did you see?

The point we were making was that with a little practice you can get your
hand/eye cordination to the point where you can do as well follow
focusing as the auto-focus features do.  I'll admit for snap focus from
out of focus to sharp image the EOS is impossible to beat manually, but I
have shot with my EOS 1 and 80-200 2.8L on auto focus and on manual focus
at basketball and it does not do any better than I am able to do on
manual focus following the action of the game.

Remember that good autofocus is a reletavily new development and many of
us have shot and still shoot good photos without the aid of electronic
focus.  I guess had I been covering the race I would have been ruled an
amature by you since I would have been shooting with an old Canon F1 and
400 2.8L MANUAL FOCUS lens.

I use the EOS line of gear for my SLR system and am very pleased with it,
however I find it somewhat ludicrous for someone to say one camera is far
superior because it has more automatic features than another.  The
improtant thing in the use of any camera is whether the person shooting
with it is comfortable with the way it works and are they able to deliver
the goods with it.  If yes to these two questions then any other
arguments are moot.

While auto focus is improtant to you it is not so for everyone.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto