Subject: fotomazin, R8 etc.
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:10:51 +0300 (EET DST)

> From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
>
> Oh, I probably would believe them, to a point.  My point is that it
> really doesn't matter what conclusion they come to.  What may be a winner
> to them may be a loser to someone else.  I wish they would just point out
> the features without the editorializing.  Probably good for their best
> advertisers though  8-[

Well, if that's what you want why don't you just get the free bochures
for R8 And RTS III and compare the specks instead of paying money on a
direct data comparison in a magazine? The point is that the testing people
in reputable magazines put in some serious experience in evaluating
the usefulness, durability  etc. of the features in the camera. You
can dismiss only so much by quoting ad revenues.

Somehow I cannot fail to notice that people get quite defensive about
R8 once its obvious shortcomings are discussed. It is simply not state
of the art, hence it (the body, not the lenses) cannot be compared with F5
or EOS 1n etc. The reason is not apples to oranges, the reason is that R8
can do just a subset of what these two can. Better just to admit that the
Leica is nowhere near the top japanese makers in electronics department
and hence they have to make a body like R8. They couldn't make F5 even if
they wanted. R lives and dies by the glass, that's it.

Leica is just retreating deeper in a niche it still has, a niche it has
been living in for quite a while and from which it cannot get out.

Kari Eloranta

PS: BTW I don't have a single electronic body so in my collection of three
SLRs & a M. I.e. Leica's approach appeals to me but one has to be honest
about it.