Subject: Leica glass...SHARP
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 17:11:32 -0500

I just got thtough editing film from my North Carolina shoot for a local
travel magazine earlier this month.  On this trip I used both my Canon
EOS gear and my M6.

I had forgotten how SHARP Leica lenses are. I used to shoot with R stuff
and after the paper I was working for closed and the wire service closed
all in one year I had to have money in a hurry so I sold it all, we all
know Leicas are worth as much dead as alive :) Equipment speaking this is
probably the worst decision I have made to date.

The images shot with the M6 were so much sharper than those shot with my
EOS stuff it was amazing.  The Leica images almost had a 3-D look to
them.  I know it is kinda comparing apples to oranges as my EOS lenses
are zooms and the Leica are not and we all know any fixxed length lens is
going to be sharper than the equilvant zoom, but the difference was
amazing to me.

I also find the lack of distortion in the 28 mm lens very nice.  The
images are sharp over all even at f 4.0 (speaking depth of focus here),
which I found really nice.  I know on wides you have a much greater
range, but this seems better than my other lenses.

It is almost enough to make me want to switch back to all Leica system R
as well as M; but I find the range on Canon's L zooms really handy so I
will probably stay with EOS for my SLR stuff and Leica for my M stuff,
but the features of the R8 sound pretty tempting-it just needs a motor,
as does the car, I hear.  Sorry Ted. :(

Anyway the type of photography that comprises 70% of my work can be shot
on the M so I will have the best of both worlds.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto