Subject: Re: 35/2 ASPH.lens = Plastic ?!?
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 11:50:01 -0700

On 19 Jul 97,  Lucien_vD wrote:

<snip>

> "At the end, only the aspheric lens is made of <plastic> ! "
>
> Erwin, is this true ??
>
> I think that they make that mistake because they don't think it is
> possible to mold glass. And also because now there is a lot of plastic
> aspheric lens in cheap zoom.

I don't know about the 35/2 ASPH, but Leica has definitely stated that the
process on the 35/1.4 ASPH involves a new method of molding *glass* for
the aspherical element.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything
      which is not prohibited is compulsory.