Subject: Re: M lenses vs R lenses
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 06:30:07 CDT

>>Has anyone tried a side by side comparison of Leica lenses of the
>same
>>formulation ie. 35mm Summicron-M vs 35mm Summicron-R. Did the images
>>produced show any noticeable difference with respect to resolution,
>>distortion, coma etc...

>Maybe Erwin, but I'm not sure why he, or anyone, would do this?

I've often wondered about this, having switched back and forth between
the R and the M systems.  You hear so much about the M WA being so much
better, but I wonder if it would show up in more or less normal picture
situations.  I took some pictures ayear ago with my 35/1.4 ASPH and my
mini (the first) in the local mall with K64.  I was amazed to see how
little difference there was on the light talbe and when projected on a 70
x 70 screen with the Pradovit 2002 p and Leica's super projection lens.
You could tell if you knew what you were projecting, but not by much.
Didn't have my enlarger any more so couldn't really look at them that
way.